The Real Estate Authority
We are the independent government agency that regulates the New Zealand real estate industry.
Is to promote and protect the interests of consumers buying and selling real estate, and to promote public confidence in the performance of real estate agency work.
What we do
Our job is to promote a high standard of service and professionalism in the real estate industry and help protect buyers and sellers of property.
- We provide independent information for people who are buying and selling property through our settled.govt.nz(external link) website.
- We provide advice and guidance for agents and deal with complaints about agents' behaviour.
- We license people and companies working in the real estate industry.
- We maintain a Code of Professional Conduct and Client Care setting out the professional standards real estate agents must follow.
- We maintain a public register of real estate agents which includes information about disciplinary action taken in the last three years.
The Real Estate Agents Authority is a Crown entity, established under the Real Estate Agents Act 2008. The Real Estate Authority is the operating name of the Real Estate Agents Authority.