The information available on or through this website is intended to provide general information to the public. We may change, delete, add to, or otherwise amend information contained on this website at any time, without notice.
While we have taken all reasonable measures to ensure the quality and accuracy of the information on our website, we make no warranty, express or implied, nor assume any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, correctness, completeness or use of any such information, nor represent that its use would not infringe on privately owned rights.
You may access third party content via links to other websites from this website, or through use of our social media (including retweets, @mention, our following of individuals or organisations on social media, or our reposting of information by other social media users). We neither endorse the information, content, presentation, or accuracy of such third party content, nor make any warranty, express or implied, regarding such information. We do not accept liability for the accuracy of content or information of any third party website or content you may access via hyperlink from our website or our social media.
Nothing contained on this website is, or shall be relied on as, a promise or representation as to the past or future by the New Zealand Government or us.
The content of this website should not be construed as legal, business or tax advice and we recommend users of this website should take advice from a qualified professional before undertaking any action following information received from this website.
Any reference to any specific commercial product, process, or service by trade name, trademark, manufacture, or otherwise does not constitute an endorsement, recommendation, or favouring by the New Zealand Government or us.
Each page on this website must be read in conjunction with this disclaimer and any other disclaimer that forms part of it.
Unless otherwise stated, the information available on or through this website is protected by copyright. Such information may be reproduced, free of charge, for personal or in-house use only without further permission. Where any material from this site is used in any context, it must be sourced to the website of the Real Estate Authority and the date of publication must be stated.
Requests and inquiries concerning the reproduction of information on this website for any purpose other than personal or in-house use should be directed to the Real Estate Authority.
For convenience and informational purposes only, this website provides links to other websites. These other sites may contain information that is the copyright of third parties and subject to restrictions on reuse. Permission to use copyrighted materials from other websites must be obtained from the copyright owner and cannot be obtained from the Real Estate Authority.
The purpose of this privacy statement is to let users of this website know when we may collect personal information and what will be collected.
No need to provide personal information
You can use this website without providing any personal information.
Where you choose to voluntarily provide personal information (for example, through social media, calculators, checklists or email requests) we will only use that information for the purpose for which you provide it and for detecting abuse of this website.
Collection of personal information
Complaints and other online processes
We may ask or require you to provide some personal information when you complete online information on this website (for example, the online complaint form).
Real Me Login
If you are a licensee, some of the information you submit via our Licensee Portal will become publically available on the register of licensees (Public Register) in accordance with our obligations under the Real Estate Agents Act 2008, and will be used by us for the purpose of carrying out our statutory functions.
Electronic alerts and newsletters
When you subscribe to one of our alerts or newsletters, the details you provide may be stored in a secure third-party database. Your name and email address will be used to send you future electronic newsletters, and will not be disclosed without your consent. If you do not provide us with this information we will be unable to provide our alert or newsletter to you. When you unsubscribe to our alert or newsletter, your details will be deleted from the database.
Collection of statistical information
We may collect statistical information about your visit to help us improve this site. This information is aggregated and non-personally identifying. It may include:
- your IP address;
- the search terms you used;
- the pages you accessed on our website and the links you clicked on;
- the date and time you visited the site;
- the referring site (if any) through which you clicked through to this Site;
- the device you used to access the site;
- your operating system (e.g., Windows XP, Mac OSX);
- the type of web browser you use (e.g. Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox); and/or
- other incidental matters such as screen resolution, the release of your installed Flash version and the language setting of your browser.
Browser or ‘web’ cookies are small text files that are sent by a website and stored on your computer's hard drive. Cookies are generally used to improve your experience of a website (eg, by remembering preferences you have set) and to track site usage.
You can read Google’s privacy statement, and access a Google Analytics opt-out tool, at the Google Privacy Center. You can manually disable cookies at any time - check your browser's 'Help' to find out how (disabling cookies will not affect your ability to use this website).
- when we will collect information from you;
- what will be collected;
- how personal information is used by us; and
- how we store and keep secure personal information.
Any information that we collect from you will be kept safe and secure, and we will make sure we use the information lawfully, in accordance with the Privacy Act.
Information we collect
If you are a licensee or are applying to become a licensee, we will collect information from you that we need to carry out our functions under the Act in relation to your licence (for example, information required by the Registrar to make decisions about you).
If you complain about a licensee or object to the Registrar issuing someone a licence, we may collect personal information from you that we need to process the complaint or objection under the Real Estate Agents Act 2008.
We collect information from publicly available sources, in order to investigate complaints about the conduct of licensees.
Use and disclosure of information
We will only use your personal information for the purpose for which it was collected.
If you are a licensee:
- Some of your information will be publically available, for example your business contact details, information about your licence and your disciplinary history will appear on the Public Register of licensees on our website. We will also give your business contact details to anyone who requests that information from us.
- Personal information about you supplied to us by a complainant may be provided to a Complaints Assessment Committee or the Real Estate Agents Disciplinary Tribunal (Tribunal). Disciplinary decisions are usually published. In some circumstances the Tribunal may make orders prohibiting the publication of any details of proceedings before it if the Tribunal thinks that is proper. We will keep you informed if this is going to happen.
- Information you provide to us in relation to your licence or your application to be a licensee is used by us to carry out its statutory functions.
If you make a complaint or objection to us:
- If you make a complaint to us, the information you give us will be used to respond to the complaint. This may involve providing a copy of it to the person you have complained about or providing it to a Complaints Assessment Committee or the Tribunal. If a Complaints Assessment Committee or the Tribunal make a decision in relation to your complaint, some aspects of it may be published.
- If you make an objection to us about a person’s application for a licence, a copy of your objection will be provided to that person.
How we will contact you
We will contact you using the contact details you have provided us. Please make sure you keep us up to date if your contact details change.
How we will protect your information
We store your information on a secure electronic network and do not disclose it to third parties except as noted above or as required by law.
How you can access and request correction of your information
You can ask us for access to your personal information by contacting us.
You can request that we correct your personal information. If we agree that the information should be corrected, we will correct it. If we do not agree that it should be corrected, we will insert a note on your file noting your request.
Access to the Licensee Portal
We may provide you access to the Licensee Portal via a RealMe login which enables us to manage secure access to the services on our site.
You are responsible for keeping your RealMe user name and password confidential. We will consider any activity on our site from your RealMe user name and password to be undertaken by you.
By using our services, you agree that you will:
- notify us immediately if you know, or have reason to believe, that there has been, or is about to be, a fraudulent or other unlawful use of our services;
- confirm the information you provide us is true and correct before submitting your information.
For the protection of others, we may suspend or disable your access to our services without notice if we consider:
- such action is necessary to maintain the integrity or security of our services or any organisation or person;
- the account is being misused or has otherwise been compromised; or