Ask a question or make a complaint

The Real Estate Authority is responsible for answering questions and dealing with complaints about licensed real estate agents.

Ask a question

If you have a question about your real estate transaction or the behaviour of an agent or agency, contact us to talk about it.

By phone:    0800 367 7322
By email:
If we can't help you

If we can’t answer your question, we will explain why and, if possible, refer you to another organisation which can help.

Make a complaint

We are responsible for addressing complaints about the behaviour of agents, and we run an independent, fair and open complaint process.

  • Step 1:

    Use the real estate agency's complaints process

    Real estate agencies must have procedures to deal with complaints. We encourage you to talk to the real estate agency concerned about the issue first, because this may be the quickest and easiest way to resolve the issue.

  • Step 2:

    Contact the Real Estate Authority

    If you are still not satisfied, call us to talk about your complaint. We can help you decide the best way to resolve the problem and check if we’re the right agency for you to make a complaint to. We can also talk through any questions you might have about the complaint process.

    By phone:    0800 367 7322
    By email:


    If we can't help you

    There are some issues we can’t help with, for example, we can't assist with most complaints about residential property managers. If we can’t help with your complaint, we’ll explain why and help you decide where else you can go.

    We also can’t intervene in a real estate transaction and can’t stop a sale going through. You should talk to your lawyer in that situation.

  • Step 3:

    Make a written complaint

    If the problem is something we can help with, you’ll need to send us your complaint in writing. The best way to do this is by filling in our complaint form and posting or emailing it to us. Make sure you include supporting evidence with your complaint.

    Download the complaint form and information about the process here [DOCX, 911 KB].

    The complaint process

    When we’ve received your complaint we’ll assess it and talk to you about the best way to resolve it. We will either work with you and the agency to resolve your concerns or escalate your complaint to a Complaints Assessment Committee (CAC). A CAC is an independent judicial panel that investigates and makes decisions on complaints.

    Send the complaint form to us:   

    By email to:

    By post to: The Registrar, Real Estate Authority, PO Box 25371 Featherston Street, Wellington 6146

Object to a licence

Anyone can object to a real estate agents licence being issued. However, you can only object on the grounds specified in the Real Estate Agents Act 2008.

How to object to a licence
  • You will need to object on one of the grounds listed in section 40(external link) of the Real Estate Agents Act 2008
  • Download the objection form [PDF, 243 KB]
  • Return the form to the Registrar within 14 days of the applicant’s details being published on this website.
Send the form to us:   

By email to:

By post to: The Registrar, Real Estate Authority, PO Box 25371 Featherston Street, Wellington 6146

See who is currently applying for a licence.

Current applications(external link)

Complaint decisions are published

Complaints Assessment Committee and Tribunal decisions are published in our decisions database(external link)(external link) and in the public register(external link)(external link).

Decisions are published after a 20 working day appeal period.

Published decisions(external link)

Did you find what you were looking for on this page?